The Technical museum in Brno

Localisation

State Czech republic
Regional (NUTS III) hierarchical level South Moravian region
District level (LAU1) Brno
Municipality (LAU2) Brno
Connection to traffic network From the city centre tram link 12 – station Technique museum Proximity to highway A9: 13 km
Proximity to highway A4: 26 km

Main factors of successful redevelopment process

  • General localization – the city Brno – Královo pole
  • Transport links - from the city centre tram link 12 to the station Technique museum
  • Public attitudes, adoption of innovations and new developments – the Technical museum Brno was established from collecting, scientific, cultural, educational and methodological reasons.
  • Availability of financial incentives - co-financed by the specific program  Compensation the restitutions of objects

Brief description of site and current use

There were attempts to establish a technical museum since the 19th century. In this period Brno became a significant industrial centre renowned for textiles, engineering, electrical and food production. The initiative came to a head in 1924 when the Czechoslovak engineering association established a preliminary board for the establishment of a technical museum in Moravia. The Archive of Industrial History is considered to be the direct foregoer of TMB. It was established in 1936 but it didn’t start operating until the post- war period. It was opened in 1948 due to the support of The People’s Committee and The Chamber of Commerce in Brno. The archive was supposed to collect and process all the materials concerned with Moravian industrial history. It was settled in the premises of Uměleckoprůmyslové muzeum. The operation of TMB has always included organizing exhibitions and expositions as well.  Expositions have been held since 1969 when the first one, called “Water power- supply” came into being. The restitution laws radical change the Technical Museum. It lost the main building (Former St. Voršila’s castle on the corner of Orlí and Josefská streets in Brno). There was however, the continued possibility to rent the castle until 2001. Despite this fact, a decision to leave the castle was made in years 1995–1996 due to its static malfunction. As a result, the majority of expositions, exhibitions, club-rooms, a lecture hall and workrooms were destroyed or removed to other temporary rented premises. The program of salvation and protection that was designed by the museum management in 1996-1997 was divided into three phases. Within the first and second phases, reconstruction and rebuilding of the newly gained edifice in Královo Pole was performed. New grounds enabling smooth removal of the museum were obtained as well. In the third phase the museum collections were secured for all intents and purposes, namely deposition, conservation and protection from various kinds of harmful substances.

Original use – basic description

Original use

The building was originally used for the production of

integrated circuit for the countries of the Council for Mutual Economic Assistance
Area 2 ha
Type of site museum

Current state – basic description

Current use Function- cultural, scientific, educational, methodological and collections
% of built-up area About 12,5 %
State of Environment No contamination
New use from 2005
Total costs 10 mil. EUR
Owner of site Ministry of culture

Contact to stakeholders

Owner of site

Ministry of culture CR

Maltezske nam.1

118 11 Prague

Telephone: 267085111
Local public administration

Technickal museum Brno 

Purkynova 105 

612 00 Brno - Královo Pole

Telephone : 541 421 411

Investors participating at redevelopment

Redevelopment of new technical museum was covered by the specific program - Compensation the restitutions of objects

Ministerstvo kultury ČR

Maltezske nam.1

118 11 Prague

Telephone: 267085111
NGOs No NGOs involved